The pizza dough is homemade, but can certainly be store-bought. My Fridge Dough is made using aquafaba and is wonderfully crisp and tender. I have a video on making the dough, which is incredibly versatile and is ready when needed: HERE.
The toppings are what make this pizza unique. Char Siu is Cantonese barbecue that is a little sweet and a little tangy. My Char Siu is made using hoisin sauce, tomato paste, ginger and Chinese 5-spice.
Cannellini beans, shiitake mushrooms and bell peppers are quick marinated and the pizza is topped with steamed chard and shredded vegan cheese.
We loved this pizza! It is just unique enough to put some pizzazz into pizza night.
Char Siu Pizza
Makes two (12-inch) pizzas
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon sweetener
1 tablespoon tahini
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans (2 cups cooked beans)
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon tahini
1-inch knob ginger, grated
1 bunch chard
1 cup shredded vegan cheese
1. Remove the dough from the fridge to warm while the oven preheats. Preheat oven to 450-degrees F. Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Place a piece on a parchment paper and push it out into a circle; the size depends on whether you like thin crust or thick crust.
2. Marinade: Combine the hoisin, vinegar, sweetener, tahini, garlic and 5-spice in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the sliced mushrooms, bell pepper strips and beans. Mix gently and set aside.
3. Sauce: Combine the hoisin sauce, tomato paste, tahini and ginger in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
4. Steam the chard until tender. Cool enough to handle and squeeze out the liquid. Chop the chard and set aside.
5. Spread 1/2 of the pizza sauce on one of the pizza doughs. Add 1/2 cup of cheese on the pizza and 1/2 of the vegetables and beans. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove the paper and continue to bake until crisp about 8 to 10 more minutes. Add 1/2 the chard. Repeat with the other portion of dough and toppings. Serve.
© 2016 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.