Day 13 VeganMoFo is this loaded Fajita Burger with Avocado Sour Cream. It is packed with fajita seasoning and fajita veggies, all stuffed onto a corn and bean burger. What do you add to a fajita? Cheese, sour cream and avocado! Done!
This was one terribly delicious burger! I charred the bun a little to give it an extra smoky flavor, but those veggies deliver on their own.
Fajitas are my absolute favorite meals to grab at Mexican or Tex-Mex places, so for me this was a must make burger. It's an easy one to make that takes you to a Mexican mom-and-pop joint without leaving your kitchen.
Don't miss my twitter chat with The Food Duo tonight at 8 EST and 5 PST. If you haven't checked out their List-mania theme for MoFo, get a move on.
HERE is the twitter chat link (and you should also follow me on Twitter): @ZsuDever.
Last order of business, remember to enter the giveaway for "Vegan Tacos" HERE.
Back to the burger...
Fajita Burger with Avocado Sour Cream
Makes 6 burgers
2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 cup frozen corn kernels, frozen
1/2 medium onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
3/4 cups vital wheat gluten (Stirred before measuring)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
4 burger buns, toasted
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
Fajita Veggies, recipe below
Avocado Sour Cream, recipe below
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the corn, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt and black pepper, to taste and stir and cook until the corn is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, stir and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool thoroughly.
2. Add the cooled mixture to a food processor. Add the cilantro and pulse just to break up the beans, about 6 (1-second) pulses. Transfer to a bowl and add the gluten flour, lime juice, tamari, chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Knead until the mixture forms gluten threads. Form the mixture into 4 burgers.
3. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with oil and arrange the patties evenly. Bake for 30 minutes-flipping after 15 minutes.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the burger patties and cook for 2 minutes. Flip, add 2 tablespoon cheese to each burger, divide the fajita veggies evenly on top of each burger, add 1/4 cup water to the skillet, cover the skillet and cook until the cheese melts.
5 Make the burgers by spread the bottom buns with avocado sour cream, add a burger and add the top bun. Serve.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small bell peppers, mixed colors, sliced thin
1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and spices and stir and cook until crisp-tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
Avocado Sour Cream
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1 medium ripe Hass avocado, mashed well
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Salt and black pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl using a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, black pepper and lime juice.