Day 9 Burger Bonanza Extravaganza is my Tempeh-Bacon and Black Bean Burger with Jalapeño Aioli. This is a simple burger, with classic flavors. It is served with grilled onions and lettuce on an English muffin. Easy!
The aioli is cashew based, with a grilled jalapeño that is cooked alongside the onions. The whole thing comes together on a toasted English muffin, which offers contrast and crunch.
The burger is smoky, a bit salty, a bit sweet and a bit spicy, therefore containing all the important elements of flavor, including bitterness from the lettuce and umami from the nutritional yeast.
In case you missed it, there are two cookbook giveaways closing in the next few days: Vegan without Borders, HERE, and Everyday Vegan Eats, HERE.
I served my burgers with Creamy Macaroni Salad (Tex-Mex Variation, EVE, page 98). You can get the recipe HERE and, of course, in Everyday Vegan Eats.
Tempeh-Bacon and Black Bean Burger with Jalapeño Aioli
Makes 6 burgers
1 tablespoon neutral oil
1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 (15-ounce) can black or kidney beans, rinsed and drained well, divided
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1 onion, sliced thick into 6 rounds
6 lettuce leaves
6 English muffins, split and toasted
Jalapeño Aioli, recipe below
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in half of the beans, garlic and nutritional yeast. Cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the tamari and liquid smoke. Remove from heat and stir in the oatmeal. Cool slightly.
2. Cook the onion in a grill pan over medium heat until soft, about 4 minutes per side. Cook at the same time as you are grilling the jalapeño.
2. Add the mixture to a food processor and process until fine but not into a paste. Add the remaining beans and pulse to combine, without breaking up the beans too much. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
3. Form the mixture into 6 patties. Cook the burgers in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat until golden and heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
4. Make the burgers by adding a lettuce leaf to a bottom of a muffin, adding a burger, a slice of grilled onion and the aioli. Top with the other side of the English muffin and serve.
1/2 cup cashews
1 cup water
2 tablespoons unsweetened plain vegan milk
2 teaspoons lime juice
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Combine the nuts and water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
2. Grill the jalapeño in a grill pan over medium heat. Cook until soft and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the stem and seeds and chop.
3. Combine in a personal blender the cashews, milk, lime and process until smooth. Add the jalapeño and blend until almost smooth. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
© 2014 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.