Day 17 Vegan MoFo burger is an Irish Burger!
These burgers are made with cabbage steaks that are rubbed with horseradish and dusted with corned seasoning and then roasted. It is then topped with melted cheese.
The second layer is sauerkraut and crumbled homemade tempeh-bacon.
The third layer is fried potatoes - because you can't have an Irish burger without potatoes! Finally the sauce is made of relish, mustard and grated onion - a twist on the traditional 1,000 Island dressing that graces a Reuben.
This burger has a lot of action happening, but it all comes together in one magical sandwich.
IRISH BURGER PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE
Makes 4 burgers
5 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
1 large Russet potato, cut into julienne strips
1 head cabbage (about 1 pound), cut into ½-inch slices
Prepared horseradish, as needed, about 2 tablespoons
Corned Spices, recipe below
½ cup shredded vegan cheese
1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, finely chopped
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Special Irish Sauce, recipe below
1 cup sauerkraut
4 burger buns, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 400-degrees F.Toss 1 tablespoon of oil with the potato strips on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 20 minutes and set aside.
2. Arrange the cabbage slices on an oiled baking sheet. Spread 1 teaspoon of horseradish on each cabbage slices. Sprinkle the Corned Spices over the top of the slices. Roast the cabbage in the preheated 400-degree oven until tender, about 20 minutes. Add cheese over the cabbage steaks and continue to bake until the cheese melts. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook until golden about 4 minutes. Add the tamari, yeast and cook until the tamari evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in the paprika. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet and cook the baked fries in batches until crisp. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and black pepper.
5. Assemble the burgers by spreading about 2 tablespoons of sauce on each bottom bun, add a cabbage steak, tempeh bacon, ¼ of the sauerkraut and ¼ of the fries. Top with the top buns and serve.
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon dill seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
Pinch ground clove
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a spice grinder or personal blender. Blend until finely ground.
Special Irish Sauce
½ cup vegan mayo
½ small onion, grated
2 tablespoons sweet relish
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well.
© 2014 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.