I agreed, but I didn't think it would be that great because, after all, it is just a burger with some toppings, bacon and guacamole. It's not like we've never put guacamole on a burger!
In addition, well, bacon. While I'm all for vegan bacon on many dishes, such as BLT, Mushroom Carbonara, Club Sandwiches, etc., I do get just a tad tired of people putting bacon on EVERYTHING.
I used the bacon from Everyday Vegan Eats (Amazon, B&N) because it is crisp and salty and just so good. You could also use the mushroom bacon from my earlier post of Stuffed Cabbage-style Bowl. Of course, whatever is your favorite bacon would be equally good on this burger.
The guacamole in the recipe is our own that we make all the time, minus the tomato. Since the burger has tomatoes on it already, I felt omitting it this time would be wise.
And if you are new to this site, you would not know that for my first three mofos, Restaurant Recreations was my theme for the entire month.
Let's take a little trip down memory lane. The links are to my previous mofo posts with the recipes.
California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Pizza:
Chicago Diner's Radical Reuben:
Chili's Cajun Steak:
Pat's Cheese Steak:
Joe's Crab Shack Crab Cakes:
Thanks for coming along! If you want to see the rest of the recreations, search the label #veganmofo below.
Public Service Announcement:
If you haven't enter the contest to win Vegan Bowls (Amazon, B&N) yet, head over to Tuesday's post HERE. Good luck!
Finally, today's creation is Red Robin's Guacamole Bacon Burger:
Guacamole Bacon Burger
Makes 6 burgers
2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 cup frozen corn kernels, frozen
1/2 medium onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2/3 cups vital wheat gluten (Stirred before measuring)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
4 burger buns, toasted
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese or slices of vegan cheese
Red onion slices
Guacamole, recipe below
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the corn, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt and black pepper, to taste and stir and cook until the corn is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, stir and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool thoroughly.
2. Add the cooled mixture to a food processor and pulse just to break up the beans, about 6 (1-second) pulses. Transfer to a bowl and add the gluten flour, lime juice, tamari, chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Knead until the mixture forms gluten threads. Form the mixture into 4 burgers.
3. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with oil and arrange the patties evenly. Bake for 30 minutes-flipping after 15 minutes.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the burger patties and cook for 2 minutes. Flip, add 2 tablespoon cheese to each burger, add 1/4 cup water to the skillet, cover the skillet and cook until the cheese melts.
5 Assemble the burgers by spreading mayo on the bottom buns, add a few onion rings, top with the burger, add a few tomato slices, add bacon, add shredded lettuce, add a good amount of guacamole and add the top bun. Serve.
5 medium ripe Hass avocado, mashed
3/4 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1 to 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and black pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a mediuml bowl using a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, black pepper and lime juice.
© 2015 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.