Bowls are convenient, easy and balanced, which is part of their appeal when dinner rolls around. Who wants to think about what to serve with a protein to make it a complete meal, when that is exactly what bowl food is all about?
Since I cooked up a batch of black beans earlier in the week, the next most obvious application for the legume was a Tex-Mex meal.
This bowl is full of Mexican flare, including roasted corn, fajita vegetables, avocado and a salsa sauce. The quinoa is dotted with spinach, adding more nutrition and flavor. Serve this bowl with tortilla chips and dig in.
Mexican-flare Quinoa Bowl
2 ¼ vegetable broth
1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed well
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
3 cups corn kernels, thawed if frozen
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cups black beans
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¾ cups salsa
¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1. Quinoa: Heat the broth in a medium pan over high heat. Bring to boil, add the quinoa and salt, cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and steam for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and stir in the chopped spinach. Return to medium heat and cook until the spinach is heated through.
2. Vegetables: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the corn and cook until golden, about 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper and set aside in a bowl. Add the oil to the skillet and stir in the bell pepper and onion. Season with the garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside in the bowl.
3. Beans: Add the beans to the skillet. Season with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook until the beans are heated through, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
4. Sauce: Combine the salsa, mayo and lime juice in a small blender. Blend until smooth and transfer to a small pan. Heat over medium heat until warmed through, about 3 minutes.
5. Assembly: Layer the quinoa in the bottom of the bowl, topping with roasted corn, sauteed vegetables, beans and avocado and cilantro. Serve with the sauce and tortilla chips.
© 2015 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.